Re: (FWD) Re: [SLUG] What should be on Linux.com?

From: Robin Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 05:26:23 EST

> What makes you believe lwn.com "looks like they're not long for this
> world" ? Aren't they a division of Tucows and affiliated with Time
> Warner? I don't think Time Warner is on the ropes. Worst case, they'll
> just sell it off to someone else. What gives?

Tucows cut LWN loose last week, and returned it to Liz Coolbaugh and Jon
Corbett, who started it, to run or not as they see fit, because of low
ad sales. Michael Hall (from LinuxToday) and I have talked to Jon, and
he's talking about going back to programming. "I never really thought of
myself as a journalist," he says.

LWN is up in air. From what I know of their readership figures, ad rates
(in general), and LWN's cost structure, there is no way the site can
make money without some radical changes.

- Robin