Re: [SLUG] emu10k1

From: Glen (gurensan@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 17:51:03 EST

Here is the first setup:

SB Live! X-Gamer
Altec-Lansing 4-point surround speakers
kernel 2.4.3
xmms
  preamp gain -1.68 (?)
  master vol 100%
  Bjork's 'New World' ripped from Selmasongs, 128k, 44k

--which produces no clipping. Here's the setup that does:

SB Live! X-Gamer
Altec-Lansing 4-point surround speakers
kernel 2.4.13
xmms
  preamp gain -1.68 (?)
  master vol 100%
  Bjork's 'New World' ripped from Selmasongs, 128k, 44k

  Here's how I know it's in the card - The only change made between the
setups is the kernel driver version. I can get clipping at preamp gains down
to about -3.5, but no appreciable increase in volume at higher levels, just
higher clipping. The speakers can handle quite a bit more volume than I'm
feeding them.

        If I decrease the master volume in xmms down to about 78%, the volume (of
course) decreases but the clipping is *still there*, which rules out
overdriving the speaker input. For some reason, it sounds like the dsp is
trying the square-wave the output circuits!

        I like the midi working - /dev/sequencer gives no more 'device busy' errors
but Konqueror started crashing at those blue-mountain card sites where before
they just complained that they could open the device....? :)

        Glen