Re: [SLUG] Dial up security

From: R.G. Mayhue (r.g.mayhue@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 10:51:36 EST

On Monday 05 November 2001 09:02 am, you wrote:

> We have a dial in line that is used from remote sites when access
> to the internet is not available. How do I secure that serial port
> on my linux box from intrusion? The site calling can be different
> computers from different locations, but no more than 5 or 6 over
> time.
>
> If you were to call right now you would get a login prompt,,,
> Uggghhh.
>
> I have closed down all the usual and unnecessary logins in
> /etc/passwd, but am concerned that someone may find a way to login
> anyway.
>

> Michael C. Rock

If you know the phone numbers of the connecting computers and you
have Caller-ID and a Caller-ID capable modem you should be able to
use mgetty to monitor the incoming calls and only answer if the
number(s) match.

You can find more info here:
http://www.leo.org/~doering/mgetty/mgetty_toc.html

Hope that helps :)