Re: [SLUG] I know the answer

From: Glen (gurensan@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 12:56:10 EST

I already replied to him off list but I thought this might make a good post.

If you forget something that can be compiled in as a module, use your
existing config (usually I just run

'make menuconfig'

 -- it reads & loads the existing.config file). Then, do a (this is what I
forgot to tell you, dad...) 'make dep'. You shouldn't need to do a 'make
clean' unless there is some compelling reason to do so. Once that's done, do

'make modules modules_install'

to compile and install all the modules. Doing it this way makes it easy to
compile the module without remembering what compiler switches to use, etc. It
only works for those modules that are distributed with the kernel and have
entries in the config and make files.

        Once that's done, copy your System.map file into /boot. I can't remember if
this is necessary, but the modules may have added some symbols to it.

        Except for that last part which I always forget to do, this works.

        Glen