Re: [SLUG] Quick question - 3 NICs

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 10:21:12 EST

On Sat, 10 Nov 2001 Doumbeck1@aol.com wrote:

> The interrupts of the NICs shouldn't move around as suggested. When a
> computer initializes, it goes through a specified sequence of events. BUT
> have said I don't use modules,

The issue is not related to modules, directly; part of the
reason for IRQ movement is that BIOS 'automatic' PnP IRQ
reservation and and PCI 'automatic' interrupt reassignemnt and
management is not under kernel control, and also that the boot
up process itself is not deterministic -- it can be
multi-threaded (disk IO is not ready yet so some other branch
executes ...), as is part of the kernel, and depends on
such random items as hard drive spinup, and electronic circuit
stabilization. We _think_ of the process as linear, but it is
not.

-- Russ