Re: [SLUG] need info

From: steve (steve@itcom.net)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 22:01:53 EST

There's a point to be aware of.

There are solid and stranded wire. There are two different type of RJ-45's to
match. Wrong one and it will not hold the crimp.

Solid is used inside walls where it will not be moved, whereas stranded cable
can be moved without breaking.

If I recall correctly, the type of RJ-45's they have at home depot is
stranded.

Next is two different types of plastic used. One is called plenum and is
intended for running in drop ceilings that act like a return flow for AC.
Plenum don't give off the same toxic fumes when it burns as the non plenum
and in many states it's a must in return flow ceilings. Plenum is basically
teflon.

Quality varies as does the price. Plenum is around 60% more expensive. I see
$185 tags on some plenum cable (1000' spool) rated for Cat 5e. I think it's
worth every penny to buy high end. Less hassles, less worries, longer future
etc.

Steve