Re: [SLUG] need info

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 23:37:38 EST

Great points, Steve. Also, the jacks have to be rated to Cat 5e/6 to
qualify for gig Ethernet. Consider the twisting too. Last I
checked, to maintain a Cat 5 rating (100Mbps), you have to keep the
twists within one centimeter of the punch or crimp. I may be
mistaken (too lazy to surf the net), but keep these things in mind.
There are lots of sites to download pictures and howtos of networking.

Lowe's and Home Depot have a nice (small) selection of cable, patch,
connectors, etc. I think there's a Graybar in Clearwater? I went to
the one in Tampa. Graybar is a good outlet for this kind of thing.
I bought a twelve port punch block from Ortronics there. They're
pricey for individuals, but they've got everything cable oriented. I
don't remember where I got my crimpers, but they were $30, and they
do RJ-11 too. I think that's the going price for people not doing it
for a living. I'm sure they could go higher.

Mario