RE: [SLUG] domain registration. Missing link?

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 20:38:51 EST

Ok, that's better. Let me try again.

1. From an external host on the Internet (telnet to a remote machine
or something), you can ping the external IP of your router. True or
False?

2. From the same place (remote machine somewhere), you can resolve
and ping using your domain name to the router. True or False?

3. On your router, since it has its public IP known to your DNS and
we've verified this, you'll need to forward ports (ahem, I forget my
well known ports here) 25 and 110. Maybe you can lose 25 cause it's
for SMTP and you only want POP3 (110).

4. As long as you can email in your private network, you should be
up and running after all these checks.

5. If not, then you may need to change the MX record(s) on your DNS
provider. I don't really understand MX records (somebody fill in
here), but that's what you have to do to use another server i.e.
barney.com versus smtp.barney.com. I think you may be ok cause
you're just using enic.cc(?) and not pop3.enic.cc or whatever.

HTH
Mario