Re: [SLUG] Networking

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan.heffernan@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 17:52:40 EST

VT wrote:
I understand SAMBA probably is my best bet for the file sharing and
print sharing between the server and Win98 box using a peer-to-peer
model. What would the equivalent method be with the Linux workstation
and the Linux server?

VT-
   The classic UNIX way is to use NFS. You setup "shares" in
/etc/exports on your file server. Make sure that all of the NFS server
software is running (nfsd and portmap). On the Linux clients, you mount
the remote shares (ie "mount 192.168.0.1:/cdrom /cdrom -t nfs"); you
would probably want to make this mounting permanent by putting the info
into /etc/fstab.

   Alternatively, you could actually use Samba on the server, and tell
your Linux clients to connect via SMB, just like the Windows clients. I
have not done this in a few years, but the way it used to work was:
"smbmount \\\\myserver\\cdrom /cdrom -I 192.168.0.1" I would
recommend NFS, it should be a little bit faster, and your Linux clients
will be able to understand/manipulate permissions in the native UNIX way.
--ronan