Re: [SLUG] FreeBSD vs. Linux

From: Doumbeck1@aol.com
Date: Thu Nov 22 2001 - 16:54:39 EST

Well I can't verify or dispute, but I can comment....

Just because one has more or less stuff in memory or swap does not measure
the quality of memory management...It just dhows that it is different...
Perhaps the reason why so much memory was used on the linux server was
because many of the commands and operations were cached for quick execution
the next time. Memory management alone isn't enough, one also has to test a
system's responsiveness and compare cpu and real time and lots of other
things. The fact that FreeBSD has less loaded memory may mean that it is
going to be accessing disk space more frequently and so it may perform
slower. I am not saying it is the case, just saying that it "may" be that
way. Linux doesn't need "more" memory to run faster per se, once it has
enough...A program is not going to get faster if the additional RAM is
already more than what is used. A program becomes fast because it IS resident
in the memory and not only on the disk....Etc etc....

Scot Mc Pherson