Re: [SLUG] 5th of a dozen questions - No luck

From: Bill Triplett (btt@nethouse.com)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 12:59:46 EST

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 01:31:33AM -0500, Bob Stia wrote:
> Sorry about the long delay in replying. Been pretty busy here for the
> last few days. Tried your suggestions including the syntax in
> lil0.config and in fstab. Still doesn't work. Yes, I ran "lilo"
> after each change and I do know the cdrecorder works because it did
> when I was using RedHat. This is driving me crazy. Every time I do a
> "mount /dev/cdrecorder" I get the "unknown device" reply.
> Any other ideas?
>
> To all the Sluggers
>
> Anybody else have any ideas? Here is the original problem as posted:
> Trying to get my ide cdrecorder as a scsi emulated device so that I
> can burn cd's

For burning, you should only need the ide-scsi and sg modules.

When you modprobe ide-scsi, there should be a message either at the
console or appended to dmesg. Here's what I get:

scsi1 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  Vendor: MITSUMI Model: CR-4804TE Rev: 3.0D
  Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Now just need to load the sg module (which cdrecord does
automatically for me) and I can burn:

first, get the device id from cdrecord -scanbus:

$ cdrecord -scanbus
scsibus1:
        1,0,0 100) 'MITSUMI ' 'CR-4804TE ' '3.0D' Removable CD-ROM
[ ... ]

Ok, it looks like it is 1,0,0. Check the drive:

$ cdrecord -dev 1,0,0 -checkdrive
Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
scsidev: '1,0,0'
scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.20
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info : 'MITSUMI '
Identifikation : 'CR-4804TE '
Revision : '3.0D'
Device seems to be: Philips CDD-522.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags : SWABAUDIO

Yeah!! the drive is ok. A test:

$ cdrecord -dummy -dev 1,0,0 -speed=4 testfile
Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
scsidev: '1,0,0'
scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.20
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info : 'MITSUMI '
Identifikation : 'CR-4804TE '
Revision : '3.0D'
Device seems to be: Philips CDD-522.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags : SWABAUDIO
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed 4 in dummy mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting dummy write in 0 seconds. Operation starts.

WARNING: padding up to secsize.
Track 01: Total bytes read/written: 3586/614400 (300 sectors).

... so it works.

You mention 'mounting' the drive. As you can see from the above,
mounting is not really necessary. If you wanted to read a cdrom, then
you'd need to mount it first. For that you'll need another module
named 'sr_mod.o'.

gives the message:

Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/24x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12

Note the 'sr0' ... that designation should be used in your symlink
/dev/cdrecorder instead of scd0.

> When I try to mount the cdrecorder as root or as user, I get the
> message ? "/dev/cdrecorder:unknown device" ?
> ?
> Is the line in fstab correct? ? The soft link exists, and a cat
> /proc/modules shows the ide-scsi module loaded. ?a cat /proc/scsi/scsi
> shows no devices, but I assume that won't show until the cdrecorder is
> mounted.?

This is where the problem is. If ide-scsi is loaded, that should be
enough to register a listing in /proc/scsi/scsi. Perhaps the append
line is not working out. Use the output of dmesg to check if the boot
process is going as planned. Post the dmesg output... maybe one of us
can find a clue.

> Could it be that scd0 is not the right module? ?I have a USB
> camera that loads as a scsi device but it is sda1.

in dmesg, is hdc the CD writer? like:

hdc: CR-4804TE, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive

Best of luck...