Re: [SLUG] 5th of a dozen questions - No luck

From: Bob Stia (rnr@sanctum.com)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 01:31:33 EST

On Sunday 25 November 2001 03:07 am, you wrote:
> On Sunday 25 November 2001 00:42, you wrote:
> > OOOooops.....My mistake..... Typo .. I misled you all.
> > Actually the line does read:
> > append = "hdc=ide-scsi" It is hdc, have 2 hard drives.
>
> ^ ^
>
> Bob ... I'm not as smart as my wife tells people I am, but my copy
> of lilo.conf does not use a blank space where indicated above. Try
> getting rid of 'em. I think this is one of those places where good
> coding practice is a bad idea. :-)

Bill & Steve,

Sorry about the long delay in replying. Been pretty busy here for the
last few days. Tried your suggestions including the syntax in
lil0.config and in fstab. Still doesn't work. Yes, I ran "lilo"
after each change and I do know the cdrecorder works because it did
when I was using RedHat. This is driving me crazy. Every time I do a
"mount /dev/cdrecorder" I get the "unknown device" reply.
Any other ideas?

To all the Sluggers

Anybody else have any ideas? Here is the original problem as posted:
Trying to get my ide cdrecorder as a scsi emulated device so that I
can burn cd's

 Here is the latest update of what I did as outlined from a Suse
document.

# 1 - Went into lilo.conf  and added the statement
          append = "hdc=ide-scsi"
# 2 - Did a "/sbin/lilo"
# 3 Went into  /etc/init.d/boot.local  and added this statement
          "/sbin/modprobe ide-scsi"
# 4 - Created a softlink      "ln -sf /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrecorder"
# 5 - Went into fstab and checked to make sure the line about the
          cdrecorder was correct.
  "/dev/cdrecorder    /cdrecorder  auto ro,noauto,user,exec
           0 0"

When I try to mount the cdrecorder as root or as user, I get the
message   "/dev/cdrecorder:unknown device"

Is the line in fstab correct?   The soft link exists, and a cat
/proc/modules shows the ide-scsi module loaded.  a cat /proc/scsi/scsi
shows no devices, but I assume that won't show until the cdrecorder is
mounted.  Could it be that scd0 is not the right module?  I have a USB
camera that loads as a scsi device but it is sda1.

Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong here ?

Bob S.