Re: [SLUG] 5th of a dozen questions - No luck

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Fri Nov 30 2001 - 12:36:33 EST

Bob, I'll try to help you. It has been a while since I've burned a CD.

Steps #1, #2, and #3 are fine.

I don't believe the mount command can accept anything short of a real
/DEVice. In other words, you can't use a softlink here--which is why
you got "/dev/cdrecorder:unknown device." Secondly, and for that
reason, you must use a real device (/dev/scd0) in /etc/fstab.
Knowing this, remove /dev/cdrecorder in your /etc/fstab and replace
it with /dev/scd0 since this was your original target. When you're
out of editing fstab, make sure you create a directory where
/dev/scd0 can exist; do a mkdir /cdrecorder. Your fstab will be
complaint with the mount command.

About the actual CD burning software, the only reason I can see you
wanted to use /dev/cdrecorder is if your software incessantly wants
to hit the device directly and doesn't know of another you can
select--In this case, /dev/cdrecorder. If this is true, you'll want
to read up on the CD burning software and try to change it to the
true device /dev/scd0--which you instructed the OS earlier to use
under SCSI emulation, or you can make a node (mknod) /dev/cdrecorder.
I remember most cd burning programs use the /dev directly and don't
bother with symlinks and mounts. However, mounting a CD recorder to
pull an iso image, you would need to mount it as mentioned in my
first paragraph.

In reply, could you post your entire /etc/fstab? I really hope this
works for you. Sorry I was so lengthy.

Mario