Re: [SLUG] RE: CAD

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Wed Dec 05 2001 - 02:13:25 EST

CAD usually connotes Computer Aided Design -- but the trade
for another 'CAD" exists, in doing a Google search

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, Maureen L. Thomas wrote:

> I work for Pasco county in the 911 call taker/fire rescue dispatch. We

Interesting: L A County has theirs on line seemingly in real
time:
    http://cad.chp.ca.gov/

The market is characterized as 'fiercely competetive' by one
vendor:
   http://www.intergraph.com/pubsafety/

I was collaterally involved with a Apache/PHP/MySQL Linux back
end for a rural county Sheriff's office -- but it was in no
way real time, or even near real time.

It would seem that significant liability issues for outages
and errors exist, and a vendor could look forward to
significant liability insurance expenses (and of course,
qualification of the product to GET the insurance issued).

Cross ties to NCIC and state and surronding jurisdiction data
usually have certain encryption and security standards ... and
'qualifying' a system could be pricey.

> to present them with some information regarding Linux CAD programs but
> have been unable to locate any agency or group who already has a Linux
> CAD system. Do any of you know of this type of program, or someone who
> might have one already to be installed.

For the foregoing reasons, it seems unlikely that a general
comercial system exists -- the vertical market slice is too
slim and the development costs too high to limit to a Linux
solution -- A 'big iron' Unix system would not surprise me,
though ... the reliability and easier record locking would
greatly simplify impelmentation

-- I'll quote a custom interface on Time and Materials against
a Requirements docuemnt or fair (non-vendor tilted) RFP... but
it won't be cheap <gentle smile>.

-- Russ