[SLUG] Regarding profanity

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 00:59:07 EST

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 03:04:42PM -0500, Kyle Amon wrote:

> And the moderator obviously did not have too big
> a problem with my use of English or we would not be discussing this
> rediculous, purile issue, would we?

The moderator hoped this would be an isolated incident and not come up
again, and so said nothing. (When will I ever learn?)

This issue has come up before. While I'm reluctant to automatically
censor or filter profanity, current sentiment echos prior sentiment:
profanity is not welcome on this list. I can curse like a sailor and do
at times, _but not on this list_. (And if it matters, yes, there are
underage subscribers here.)

It's not a great sacrifice to avoid profanity, particularly when asked
to do so. It's simply good manners. If it pleases you to consider other
list subscribers as simple-minded and puerile, then by all means do so.

Obviously, I need to add this to the list of "don'ts" for this list, but
in the meantime, I would ask that we confine profanity to the politics
list (where's it's encouraged! ;-). Likewise, I think we can dispense
with this thread.

Paul M. Foster
President
Suncoast Linux Users Group (SLUG)