Re: [SLUG] Video in/out hardware and software advice needed

From: Robin (Roblimo) Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 06:34:50 EST

> Hey all... I have this project I'm working on and I need some advice. I'm
> basically attempting to build my own tivo style media box for the
> entertainment center. I need some recommendations on hardware and software
> that would be appropriate. My main focus right now is the hardware side
> (first things first!). All I'm really looking for is the TV in/out card.
> It needs to be able to do the following at a minimum:

The new FuturePower/OeOne computer
(https://homebase.oeone.com/store/index.php?SCREEN=items/1) isn't
exactly what you are looking for, but it does everything you want, all
in one neat little $800 package.

I have a review unit here... got it yesterday, have been playing with it
since. Very nice piece. Uses Mozilla, not KDE or Gnome, as its desktop;
no start/foot/gear button anywhere. If you have a relative who wants a
virus-free computer for Internet use and basic home computer stuff, but
doesn't know much, this thing is the perfect choice for them. It's so
easy to set up and run that it makes a Mac look hard. But you can also
pop up a terminal window and do whatever you want.... and yes, you can
hook it up to cable input, record shows, play them minus commercials,
whatever. Add an external (USB?) CD or DVD burner (and driver for it),
and you'd have one [bleep] of a "video archiving" device.

- Robin