[SLUG] Video in/out hardware and software advice needed

From: Ken Billings (mrcoffee69@email.com)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 03:05:29 EST

Hey all... I have this project I'm working on and I need some advice. I'm
basically attempting to build my own tivo style media box for the
entertainment center. I need some recommendations on hardware and software
that would be appropriate. My main focus right now is the hardware side
(first things first!). All I'm really looking for is the TV in/out card.
It needs to be able to do the following at a minimum:

1. Capture 30 fps of 800x600 24bit color. The _capability_ of a higher res
is desirable.
2. Have a decent quality cable tuner.
3. RCA video in/out, S-Video out.
4. Video out needs to be able to display a half-way readable desktop.
5. Hardware DVD decoding would be nice, but not required. I have a good DVD
player I'll still be using for that.
6. Capability to select recording compression codec - more software side,
but I don't want to get stuck with a crappy codec.
7. Somewhat stable and mature linux driver support.

Advanced audio functions are not really needed (other than the tuner), and
might get in the way. I have a SB Live 5.1 I'll be using for audio.
The software side I'm not as worried about right now, but I'd love to get
started on that also. I'd like to stick to tools that are fully command
line controlled, as I'll be doing the interface in html and <insert
scripting language here>.

So... anyone have any ideas, or done something like this already?

-Ken