[SLUG] CMOS lost power

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2002 - 22:49:26 EST

I realize this doesn't directly pertain to Linux, but I was trying to
build a Linux fileserver (Appletalk, NFS, and SMB) to raffle off at
the next Tampa Linux meeting, so I hope I am forgiven.

This machine was running fine. I would shut it off from time to time
to run different tests; both power-off and reboot. It showed no
signs of CMOS corruption or power loss.

Just about when I was finished with it, it started complaining about
the CMOS memory being lost. I know it's not the CMOS that's
defective because it survives reboots fine. It's when I shut it off
that it whines about not having correct data, and it obtains the
defaults.

I can't seem to find a battery anywhere on the motherboard, so where
*did* the CMOS get its power, so I can replace it? Also, if anyone
knows of some good local computer groups, email lists and/or physical
meetings, please let me know.

Mario