[SLUG] Re: Linux for Business

From: Tim Wright (t.wright1@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 22:55:25 EST

Another option for your business customer is Corel's WordPerfect suite for
Linux. While it is Commercial software, the price is very reasonable for
office suites, and for somebody migrating from MS-Windows to Linux, it's a
good implementation, looking very familiar to MS-Windows users, but still
firmly in the Linux world. The basic version is about $100,and the deluxe
package with Paradox runs about $130 the last time I looked. As a long-time
Quattro Pro user (been using Quattro since version 1.0 for DOS in the 80s), I
got it just for the spreadsheet software.

Back to your original question about database and presentation software,
Paradox is worth at least a good look, and Corel Presentations is just as
good as PowerPoint. Graphics has always been a strong point in the Corel
product line, and Corel's office suite writes and reads to MS-Office file
formats. WordPerfect is still a mighty good application, and it's been my
word processor ever since I established my Microsoft-Free-Zone. (the Version
8.0 port to Unix/Linux runs better than the Wine implemented version from the
suite, but it's clearly a Unix program. Those migrating from Windows may need
a little time getting used to it.)

Another plus is that Corel's WordPerfect Office Suite for Linux will run on
just about any desktop: KDE, Gnome, maybe CDE as well. Your client might like
the look and feel of Corel's stuff better than StarOffice if he's dropping
MS-Windows for Linux.