Re: [SLUG] Help with tar & FTP--Whats this bin thing?

From: Norbert Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 06:45:01 EST

Jason Copenhaver wrote:

>It all depends on what ftp server and ftp client you have.. I've used ftp
>clients that have automatically set the BINARY transfer mode on.. at the
>ftp prompt just type BIN and it will set the transfer mode correct..
>otherwise you will have problems with transfered files.. I think some ftp
>servers automatically set the bin mode also..

Well, the program I used was "FTP," as in

[prompt@here] ftp 192.168.1.1

Any hints?

P.S.
This is the exact message I'm getting:
[omar@localhost omar]$ tar xvzf omar.tgz
omar/
omar/AS/
omar/AS/folder/
omar/AS/testing/
omar/AS/testing/LC-test/
omar/AS/oeone.tgz

gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive

I've tried uising the tar options to skip over certain files (like the
entire AS folder), but to no avail.

Gnorb