[SLUG] Pings etc.

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 22:10:35 EST

I have a coyote firewall I'm trying to set up. All appears to be okay,
EXCEPT....

This test is conducted with the following:

ipchains -P input ACCEPT
ipchains -P output ACCEPT
ipchains -P forward MASQ

Don't complain. This is just to ensure that it's not the firewall rules
causing the problem.

>From any machine on the network (and the firewall), I can ping
www.suncoastlug.org. I cannot, however, ping www.quillandmouse.com. Now,
I can traceroute or traceroute -I it. I can access the website(s). I can
run host against them both.

This coyote box is running dhcpcd and is connected to Verizon for DSL
services. So I'm getting a dynamic IP. Verizon or dhcpcd puts some crap
in the resolv.conf file that I don't want, like it specifies the
"domain" and a "search" line. I normally only have "nameserver" lines in
my resolv.conf. I thought maybe that was it, so I edited out everything
but the nameservers, and added the XO nameservers (quillandmouse.com is
on XO), just to make sure that there was no problem there. But I don't
know if the resolv.conf is reread each time an IP address is needed.

In any case, any experts out there know why I'd be able to do everything
_but_ ping www.quillandmouse.com, and yet be able to do _anything_ to
another host?

Paul