Re: [SLUG] Pings etc.

From: Kai Lien (kai@lenseco.com)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 00:01:21 EST

It is NOT responding to ping from my box as well.

[<pts/0> kai@mp3 /home/kai/bin]$ ping quillandmouse.com
PING quillandmouse.com (207.155.248.31) from 192.168.1.4 : 56(84) bytes of
data.

- --- quillandmouse.com ping statistics ---
33 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

Perhaps, it is set up not to respond to icmp packets. My firewall box
(Coyote Linux too) is setup that way.

# Block PINGs from outside (Internet)
/sbin/ipchains -A input -i eth1 -s 0/0 -p icmp --icmp-type ping -j DENY

I guess they started preventive DDOS attack ;-)

Kai

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Paul M Foster wrote:

> I have a coyote firewall I'm trying to set up. All appears to be okay,
> EXCEPT....
>
> This test is conducted with the following:
>
> ipchains -P input ACCEPT
> ipchains -P output ACCEPT
> ipchains -P forward MASQ
>
> Don't complain. This is just to ensure that it's not the firewall rules
> causing the problem.
>
> >From any machine on the network (and the firewall), I can ping
> www.suncoastlug.org. I cannot, however, ping www.quillandmouse.com. Now,
> I can traceroute or traceroute -I it. I can access the website(s). I can
> run host against them both.
>
> This coyote box is running dhcpcd and is connected to Verizon for DSL
> services. So I'm getting a dynamic IP. Verizon or dhcpcd puts some crap
> in the resolv.conf file that I don't want, like it specifies the
> "domain" and a "search" line. I normally only have "nameserver" lines in
> my resolv.conf. I thought maybe that was it, so I edited out everything
> but the nameservers, and added the XO nameservers (quillandmouse.com is
> on XO), just to make sure that there was no problem there. But I don't
> know if the resolv.conf is reread each time an IP address is needed.
>
> In any case, any experts out there know why I'd be able to do everything
> _but_ ping www.quillandmouse.com, and yet be able to do _anything_ to
> another host?
>
> Paul

- --