Re: [SLUG] Linux on Laptops

From: Michael J. Hoffman (hoffmanm@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 20:23:50 EST

On Tue, 2002-01-29 at 11:30, Carson Wilcox wrote:
> Thanks I appreciate the info, I had almost decided to
> go that way..
>
> Carson
> --- Derek Glidden <dglidden@illusionary.com> wrote:
> Linux on Toshiba laptops?
> >
> > Older models worked great, newer models are
> > something to avoid.

Sorry I apparently missed the beginning of this... what was the reason
*not* to use a Dell? Dell machines are for the most part loaded with
very standard chipsets and circuits... and Linux works well on most of
the current breed of Dell laptops (with the possible exception of the
ultrthin "blade" type that I can't claim experience with).

Most of the Dell hardware is recognized automatically; possibly some of
the older models with NeoMagic chips could give you an issue but the
newer stuff is mostly ATI and now nVidia.

Or perhaps you wanted it to *ship* with Linux? Well we can't have
everything (yet) :-)

                                        MH++