Re: [SLUG] Re: "Some good reasons not to use Linux"

From: Robin (Roblimo) Miller (robin@roblimo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 18:22:49 EST

> Other than proper CMYK colorspace support, what do you see as glaring
> drawbacks in using "The Gimp" for full-on DTP?

That's the dealbreaker right there. The rest of the "why I can't use
Gimp even though I'd like to" talk I've heard from layout people
revolved around filters and other minor issues. *BUT* it sounds as if
Scribus, a (GPL) DTP program that's in works, has CMYK and (gasp)
handles jumps. My reviewer -- a Linux user who works on a college paper
that is locked to Quark -- seems to feel Gimp + Scribus isn't far from
offering a viable replacement for Photoshop + Quark. The Scribusreview
will be up next week

> As far as scanner support goes, have you checked out Vuescan?

Nope. I am one person and (contrary to popular belief) I don't have
endless time or knowledge. :)

So would you be so kind as to write a review of, or short descriptive
piece about, Vuescan for Linux.com?

> And, just as an addendum, I use Windows at times to play games. I'm
> still addicted to Diablo II, the various Baldur's Gate editions, Black &
> White and Rollercoaster Tycoon. I would LOVE to have any of those
> ported to Linux, but I'm not holding my breath. On the other hand, I
> play Unreal Tournament and Tribes 2 under Linux all the time and they
> run great. That's why there's dual-boot.

I'm not a game person. I tend to spend my computer time working, and get
away from the Dim Glow for recreation. I hear all kinds of blah-blah
about Linux games and nod and smile. It *seems to me* in a general sense
that with consoles getting so sophisticated, they may become combination
game machines and home (wireless) servers, with computer work being done
on laptops. I dunno.

But I'll repeat one prediction I made in a previous column that was
mostly ignored, and othrwise scoffed at: before too long, the concept of
the "operating system" as we know it today will be replaced by something
else. I have no idea what it'll be, just that there are so many people
putting so much thought into how we interact with computing devices that
one of them is bound to come up with something new.

Also, please remember that you can only expect so much from a
self-appointed futurist who lives in a trailer park. :)

- Robin