Re: [SLUG] Re: "Some good reasons not to use Linux"

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2002 - 19:01:00 EST

On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 05:31:18PM -0500, Derek Glidden wrote:

> Hi Robin,
> Just read your "Why _not_ to use Linux" article and had just a couple of
> comments/questions I wanted to pose, but not in the feedback/comments
> since that would just be a waste of time... (which goes to show that I
> fully agree with at least the latter part of your story. :)
>
> Other than proper CMYK colorspace support, what do you see as glaring
> drawbacks in using "The Gimp" for full-on DTP?

Full on DTP? I'm not sure if you mean what I mean when I say that. Since
I'm in that business, I can say for certain that the Gimp is not up to
the task, and never should be. Nancy (who does the actual DTP for our
company) could tell you more about what's involved. If you're going to
do real DTP, not even MS Publisher will do. You need PageMaker or Quark
(or maybe InDesign, but the jury's still out on that one). There are all
kinds of little things that make a page layout package useful or
useless. You may be able to torture a package into doing some of this
stuff, but if it's not simple to do without a lot of rigamarole, it's
not worth it. You can do DTP with MS Pub, but not professionally.

Paul