Re: [SLUG] Violation of the GPL?

From: awyatt@bbsgamers.com
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 10:53:11 EST

The source is available for download. I skipped over the ISO yesterday looking for disc 1.

-AW

Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 05:32:55 -0500
From: Norbert Cartagena <niccademous@yahoo.com>
To: slug@nks.net
Subject: [SLUG] Violation of the GPL?

From the Lycoris web-site (Formerly Redmond Linux -
http://www.lycoris.com/products/ :

"Lycoris Desktop/LX is currently priced at just $29.95. This includes 60
days of e-mail support and a 30 page installation guide. Desktop/LX
Deluxe, which includes the source code and DevTools on two extra CD's,
is currently priced at $39.95."

Now, I'm no Guru with the GPL, but aren't you supposed to make the
source code available to anyone that asks who has purchased your product
(regardless of wheter you include it with the product or not)? Why then
is it that this company asks you to pay for it? Mind you, it's not
exactly very much - I don't forsee hordes of geeks storming the gates at
this place - but it's the principle with which I'm concerned. Or am I
just exagerating and is this actually covered by the "charging for the
medium" clause?

Gnorb