Re: [SLUG] I find these two articles disturbing

From: Robert Haeckl (rhaeckl@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Feb 06 2002 - 14:30:40 EST

NewsForge has printed a followup response to theregister article. He
explains the difference between ".NET" and the ".NET framework". The
framework is a virtual machine (VM), and a C# compiler and associated
libraries, and a common intermediate language (CIL). I read it quickly
and these are points that stuck:

-Icaza is building a .NET framework (called Mono), not necessarily a
.NET implementation for Web Services.
-The .NET framework VM can be a target for any programming language,
using the CIL - apparently this is lacking with Java/JVM.
-.NET framework is about increased programmer productivity.
-GNU was based on historically proprietary technology, so what's the big
issue with Mono?
-Mono's C# compiler is written in C#.
-Windows programmers will be able to cross over easily to unix
platforms.

Here's the link:
http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/02/06/1536255&mode=nocomment

Lots of questions come to mind...read the response and followup on the
appropriate list.

-Robert