[SLUG] This bodes ill

From: Bill (selinuxathome@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Feb 17 2002 - 00:46:45 EST

Sorry for the cross-post but it's getting pretty late and I am in a bind. The
more eyes that see this, the more likely one of them will return me to the
realm of the semi-clued.

I can not print to my only printer. It worked yesterday. To the best of my
knowledge and belief, I did not twiddle any knobs or push any buttons. Power
cables are in place, signal cables appear to be snug.

This is an Epson Stylus Color 600 which has, to this point, given me good
service. I VERY strongly suspect some sort of a configuration error ...
possibly caused by either installing some piece of software or by opening
Linuxconf and clicking my way around seeing what I could see. However, IIRC,
LinuxConf didn't like the printcap file from the beginning and declined to do
anything with it.
_______________

>From webmin test print I get :
lpr: unable to print file: server-error-service-unavailable

>From CUPS test print I get :
client-error-gone

$ escputil -c yields :
Cleaning heads...
lpr: stdin is empty, so no job has been sent.

Total power down (memory dump) changes nothing. Proper shut-down (power
button) changes nothing.

Trying to set up another printer in CUPS (to side-step software problems )
yields :
Request Entity Too Large
The request is too large for this server to process.

Harddrake shows no printer (at all).

Linuxconf says it can't deal with this printcap variant (LPRng) and to delete
it or convert it to a standard format.

Deleting the only entry I can find for that printer is emotionally satisfying
... but that's about all it's good for. I created a new entry in CUPS and got
the same response when I tried to test print.

Any clues out there?

Bill

--
We're sorry, but due to ongoing security concerns, we no longer accept e-mail
attachments created by Microsoft applications. Please accept our apologies for