Re: [SLUG] IP spoofing and tracking

From: Norbert Cartagena (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Feb 23 2002 - 10:18:52 EST

Bpreece wrote:

>Well here is a few things one Road Runner Users get this alot.
>Next he should run Zone Alarm if he is using Winders it is free and works
>very well.
>Next It will give you a ip that is trying to hit his system.

Yeah, his system is already relatively secure. (Actually, I believe he's
using ZoneAlarm). The problem is that the IP that's showing up isn't the
one that the pings are really comming from. As I said, he knows who that
system belongs to and it's not them.

And actually, he's not on Road Runner. His appartment complex has their
own T3 (or another of the big connections - big enough to give him
pretty good times), whihc is powered by Florida Multimeda (yeah, I never
heard of them either until this week).

>!
>
>If it turns out to be from another domain and isp though then he should
>contact that isp and report the person and send them
>a copy of the log file from the Firewall.

No, he was able to narrow it down to that specific domain, within the
complex.

>That is about all you can do.
>
>Unless you get him to switch to LINUX 8-)
>Then you can tell him to update all the security patches and updates. Set up
>a BSD firewall!
>You know the rest of the story so preach the Open Source Gosple to him!

As far as that goes, he's looking at it.

Thanks,

Gnorb