[SLUG] FTP woes

From: Bill (selinuxathome@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 12:35:26 EST

Here's the tale:
I have been trying to set up an ftp server on my machine at home. I have the
fixed IP, proftpd and so on.

I am running NAT'd through a router that seems to be working just fine.
Several folks have tried to help me off line and I think, to a limited
extent, they have succeeded. I thank them all!

I can get into my ftp server with MSIE ... and MSIE only! Not Opera, not
BulletProof or Cute (Windows side), not Konqueror, not NS, not Galeon, not
Mozilla and not Gftp (Linux side).

With the ftp clients, I get the welcome.msg and then things fall apart.
With the various browsers, I get various results, but none get far enough
along to display a directory listing. Konqueror will chug along for hours
(literally!) claiming that it is logged in and retrieving the directory
listings. Gftp will do much the same but eventually times out.

Just to make sure that MSIE was actually making a live (not cached)
connection, I added a file to the ftp root and MSIE displayed it.

In each case, I am directing the borwser / ftp client at the web URL and not
the internal address. The URL parses to the IP and this is echoed by the ftp
clients.

So .... how come MSIE and not any of the others?

take a look at ftp://organic-earth.com

(don't expect much ... I am just trying to get the servers functional at this
point.)

TIA,
Bill