Re: [SLUG] Thanks for the GUI EMAILS

From: Norb (niccademous@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 11:54:46 EST

>Thanks for the extensive list of links, and emails regarding this most basic
>gui question. I have plenty to digest and read.
>
>Xconfigurator and startx did not work (command not found message, I was at
>the [Admin@localhost /]$ prompt ) so I must need to do some further
>installation or configurations to the os.
>
>I do plan on attending the Sarasota User Group meetings.
>
>I'll certainly use the web site links but can anyone recommend a great
>newbie Linux Book for the beginner of beginners?

Well, depends on what you're looking for. If you were using SuSE, I
would just say "the guides that come with it are perfect." Using Red
Hat, though, you're probably looking for more admin oriented stuff(?) or
are you looking for just regular, joe-shmoe user? There's a book out
there called "Linux: Didn't know you could do that" or something to that
effect, that has a "hip-hop" party-monkey in the front cover (looks
pretty funny). You can also try "Sam's Linux in 24 hours" (not exactly
one of my favorites), or any of the Red Hat books by Mohammed J. Kabir
(he makes a GREAT, easy to read admin/user guide). Really, what I
recomend you do is go to a book store, grab yourslef about 10 books and
a cup of coffe, read through these and pick which one you're most
comfortable with. For me to blindy recomend one is really for me to
"guess" what type of person you are - not a great way to go (for
example, personally I don't like really big fat books - but they're
still useful). The books that I recomended in my previous post are also
high on my list for any level user - but they just take a bit of
reading. The McGraw Hill, "Linux, the complete guide" is my favorite,
truth be told, but that's just a personal thing.

Happy Reading;

Gnorb.