Re: [SLUG] BIOS flash - followup

From: Bill Triplett (btt@nethouse.com)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 00:22:23 EST

Thanks for the DOS bootdisk info. I was able to download the boot
install disk from FreeDOS.org, then copy the bios flash program and
new bios code over to it. Booted, ctrl-c'd my way to a dos prompt and
ran the flasher w/o a hitch. Neat-o.

bootdisk.org seems to be in DNS hell.

> On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Ronald KA4INM Youvan wrote:
>
> > Hi Bill Triplett:
> >
> > > How does one go about making a DOS boot disk? I don't have DOS or
> > > Windows, only Linux, FreeBSD, MacOS 9.2.2. Is it possible to create
> > > some kind of DOS boot disk on one of those OSs?
> >
> > > I have an aflash.exe program that needs to be run from DOS to flash
> > > the bios. Is it possible to obtain DOS without getting Windows? I
> > > don't have the original CDs or Disks that came with the motherboard.
> >
> > Did you throw away your old DOS 5.0 box, book and disks?

Never had one!

> > I think the MAC will format a DOS disk, but it won't be bootable.
> > (same for LINUX)
> >
> > Find a friend or neighbor that still has a DOS partition on one
> > drive and have him/her format 5 or 6 for you.

Friends don't let friends run DOS :)

Cheers,
Bill