Re: [SLUG] Job Postings Now Ready

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 00:16:16 EST

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 05:39:21PM -0500, Kai Lien wrote:

> I see you are running a php3 script to parse the info submitted. If you
> have a MySQL backend, you could log the info into a database with a field
> for the date of submission. Then, just select records that are from the
> last 7 days.

There probably is a MySQL backend running on the Owl River server, but
since I know almost nothing about PHP and have never messed with MySQL,
it's not worth it for me to try and figure that out at the moment. (I
just cut and pasted from other PHP files in order to build this one. And
typically, I use PostgreSQL, not MySQL. And then only from the psql
command line program, not from a scripting language.)

> In addition to the email notice of a new job offering, you could also use
> a web admin interface to activate new job submission, ie. Slashdot News
> posting. Just add another field (like "Active", "0" for true and "1" for
> false) to the database, then after receiving your email notice of the new

Oooo. That hurts the C programmer in me, where 0 is false and 1 is true.
;-}

> submission and double check to see if all the necessary info are there,
> you could just click a checkbox and the new job offering would be active
> and be listed in the job page. Of course this is extra work, but it should
> make life administring the job page easier.

A web interface for anything is the last thing I want. If I could avoid
GUIs completely, I'd be happy.

> Data checking / verification is another recommendation. This could be done
> using either JavaScript or PHP.

Could be, but I'm still going to have to look over the submissions
anyway. I told the folks who wanted to post jobs that I wouldn't accept
any which were not related to Linux. So I'd still have to look them over
to ensure there's _something_ Linux in the jobs.

The way the system works is this: someone fills out the form on the
website, and it emails to me. The subject line flags it for me to pay
special attention to. I look it over (in mutt). If okay (and I had two
submissions today which were just blank), I refile it in the
"jobpostings" email folder. Then I run the "jobs" Perl script. This
scans through that folder, looking at each email in turn. It checks the
date and compares it to today. If more than a week old, it skips to the
next email. If it hits an email within the correct time frame, it looks
into the body of the email. The body contains a line that signals the
start of a job offering, and a line signalling the end of a job
offering. In between those two lines, it snips each line of content, and
adds some HTML tags to make it prettier. This then dumps into a file
called "jobpostings" in another directory. This waits for me to rebuild
the website. To do that, I just go into the website directory and run
"make". This builds any updated files. Then I run "make rsync" to upload
the new jobs page (and anything else that's changed), to the website on
the Owl River server.

Pretty simple.

There may be ways within my capabilities to make it simpler, but for now
I want to see how things shake out. Employers may want me to add fields,
users may want changes, the scripts still need production testing to
ensure they are free of bugs, etc.

> These are just some of my suggestions. Since SLUG is a community, everyone
> should help out and make this job page beneficial to all of us.

Keep the suggestions coming. I'll file them away if I don't use them
immediately. At some point in the future, I may upgrade things using
these suggestions, if the traffic warrants it and I have more time.

Paul