Re: [SLUG] Job Postings Now Ready

From: Kai Lien (kai@lenseco.com)
Date: Mon Mar 25 2002 - 09:00:21 EST

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002, Paul M Foster wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 05:39:21PM -0500, Kai Lien wrote:

> > I see you are running a php3 script to parse the info submitted. If you
> > have a MySQL backend, you could log the info into a database with a field
> > for the date of submission. Then, just select records that are from the
> > last 7 days.
> >

> There probably is a MySQL backend running on the Owl River server, but
> since I know almost nothing about PHP and have never messed with MySQL,
> it's not worth it for me to try and figure that out at the moment. (I
> just cut and pasted from other PHP files in order to build this one. And
> typically, I use PostgreSQL, not MySQL. And then only from the psql
> command line program, not from a scripting language.)

I too favor the CLI better than any GUI. (I am still using pine for
my email) Often, I tested my SQL statement in the mysql command line,
before using it in a script.

> > In addition to the email notice of a new job offering, you could also use
> > a web admin interface to activate new job submission, ie. Slashdot News
> > posting. Just add another field (like "Active", "0" for true and "1" for
> > false) to the database, then after receiving your email notice of the new
>
> Oooo. That hurts the C programmer in me, where 0 is false and 1 is true.
> ;-}

Those are just pure suggestions. You could use any number as the "active"
statement and vice versa. Thus, in your case, perhaps, you may want 1 to
be true and 0 as false. In any case, it all depends on what that
particular field is set.

> > submission and double check to see if all the necessary info are there,
> > you could just click a checkbox and the new job offering would be active
> > and be listed in the job page. Of course this is extra work, but it should
> > make life administring the job page easier.
> >

> A web interface for anything is the last thing I want. If I could avoid
> GUIs completely, I'd be happy.
>
> > Data checking / verification is another recommendation. This could be done
> > using either JavaScript or PHP.
> >

> Could be, but I'm still going to have to look over the submissions
> anyway. I told the folks who wanted to post jobs that I wouldn't accept
> any which were not related to Linux. So I'd still have to look them over
> to ensure there's _something_ Linux in the jobs.
>
> The way the system works is this: someone fills out the form on the
> website, and it emails to me. The subject line flags it for me to pay
> special attention to. I look it over (in mutt). If okay (and I had two
> submissions today which were just blank), I refile it in the
> "jobpostings" email folder. Then I run the "jobs" Perl script. This
> scans through that folder, looking at each email in turn. It checks the
> date and compares it to today. If more than a week old, it skips to the
> next email. If it hits an email within the correct time frame, it looks
> into the body of the email. The body contains a line that signals the
> start of a job offering, and a line signalling the end of a job
> offering. In between those two lines, it snips each line of content, and
> adds some HTML tags to make it prettier. This then dumps into a file
> called "jobpostings" in another directory. This waits for me to rebuild
> the website. To do that, I just go into the website directory and run
> "make". This builds any updated files. Then I run "make rsync" to upload
> the new jobs page (and anything else that's changed), to the website on
> the Owl River server.
>
> Pretty simple.
>
> There may be ways within my capabilities to make it simpler, but for now
> I want to see how things shake out. Employers may want me to add fields,
> users may want changes, the scripts still need production testing to
> ensure they are free of bugs, etc.
>
> > These are just some of my suggestions. Since SLUG is a community, everyone
> > should help out and make this job page beneficial to all of us.
>
> Keep the suggestions coming. I'll file them away if I don't use them
> immediately. At some point in the future, I may upgrade things using
> these suggestions, if the traffic warrants it and I have more time.
>
> Paul

I guess I have done too many web sites using PHP and MySQL. I tend to
store most data in a MySQL database and retrieve it when the HTML page is
called. Once the layout of the page is done, I no longer have to edit any
HTML. Only thing that changes is the content. In your case, the only thing
that changes in the Job page would be the listing. If you would rather
not messing with a web admin GUI, you could always use the command line to
update one of the fields in the newly inserted record.

Anyhow, if the changes are minimal, what I suggested would be
overkill. There is no need to spend the time coding when there is minimal
traffic.

Just one last request in the open source sense, perhaps, you could share
with all of us your code (without revealing any sensitive info). The
detailed description aforementioned gave us a pretty good idea as to how
the system worked.

Thanks for your time.

Kai
- --

Kai Lien

DSA key ID 39BD44C0

Lense Consulting Company
www.lenseco.com

Fortune Cookie of the Day:

        WARNING TO ALL PERSONNEL:

Firings will continue until morale improves.