Re: [SLUG] Job Postings Now Ready

From: Kai Lien (kai@lenseco.com)
Date: Sun Mar 24 2002 - 17:39:21 EST

I see you are running a php3 script to parse the info submitted. If you
have a MySQL backend, you could log the info into a database with a field
for the date of submission. Then, just select records that are from the
last 7 days.

In addition to the email notice of a new job offering, you could also use
a web admin interface to activate new job submission, ie. Slashdot News
posting. Just add another field (like "Active", "0" for true and "1" for
false) to the database, then after receiving your email notice of the new
submission and double check to see if all the necessary info are there,
you could just click a checkbox and the new job offering would be active
and be listed in the job page. Of course this is extra work, but it should
make life administring the job page easier.

Data checking / verification is another recommendation. This could be done
using either JavaScript or PHP.

These are just some of my suggestions. Since SLUG is a community, everyone
should help out and make this job page beneficial to all of us.

BTW, great job, Paul.

Kai

On Sun, 24 Mar 2002, Paul M Foster wrote:

> Okay, I got around to it. On the SLUG site, you will now find a Jobs
> page at:
>
> http://www.suncoastlug.org/jobs.html
>
> At the moment, it contains only one bogus job posting, though you're
> welcome to call the number on it. ;-}
>
> At the top of that page, there is a link for companies who want to do
> job postings, which takes them to a page just for that. Those postings
> get emailed to me. I look over them to see if everything's there, then
> stick them in an email folder. Then I run an script to scoop the job
> stuff into the jobs page. At some point, I upload the new jobs page.
>
> This arrangement is a _pilot_. I'm still working on the script (I'm
> having to figure out how to make it delete older postings, among other
> things). So the page may change, etc. etc. But for now, you have
> _something_ at least.
>
> I'll be contacting the people who wanted to offer jobs in the last few
> weeks, and letting them know the page is there.
>
> If you've got comments or questions, let me know. But do it quickly,
> before I set all this in stone.
>
> Paul

- --

Kai Lien