Re: [SLUG] worth of firewall-in-a-box hubs?

From: Steven Johnson (alinuxguru@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Mar 30 2002 - 22:05:22 EST

It truly is subjective and a matter of personal opinion. I have ran both
and I will say that I never will go back to a linux solution again because:

1) I get a four port switch and print server for under $50. Unless I
already had a PC lying around to use from an economic standpoint the choice
is clear.

2) Linux offers more customization. However, as the firmware of the
routers goes up the development curve at a faster rate than linux does it
will only be a matter of time before they are equal to each other.

3) The noise, even on my set top web surfer was greater than these routers.
  In fact, the routers are virtually noiseless.

4) The number of amps pulled by a router is SIGNIFICANTLY less. You can
read that either as an economic benefit or an environmental benefit.