Re: [SLUG] Linux Printing Problems

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 15:15:17 EST

Here's an example from my office box:

lp|Remote printer entry:\
         :lp=:\
         :rm=hp4050n.nks.net:\
         :rp=HP4050N:\
         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/remote:\
         :mx#0:\
         :sh:

The key is the "rm=" (remote machine) and "rp=" (remote printer)
keywords. Enjoy.

The printer is using JetDirect and is configured with the IP pointed to
by the DNS name "hp4050.nks.net". The printer name is "HP4050" as
configured on the printer itself.

You can find the name your printer thinks it is by telnetting to the IP
of the printer, which should present you with a ">" prompt (or a
login/password if it is so locked down). You can use the "/" command to
show the current settings, as such:

   ===JetDirect Telnet Configuration===
        Firmware Rev. : G.08.04
        MAC Address : 00:ba:db:ad:d0:0d