[SLUG] HELP!!! route command failure

From: Glen (gurensan@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 22:54:46 EDT

To all:

I have an issue I need immediate assistance on - like by 8:30 tomorrow
morning. I've been wracking my brains and RTFMing for hours.

I can't ping my router at work (we've moved, I have a static IP at the
firewall now). Here's my routing table:

<telco network> * U ... eth0
192.168.1.0 * U ... eth1
127.0.0.0 * U ... lo

When I try to add a default route with the cisco router as gateway, it
accepts the route but won't return pings. Here's how I added the route:

route add -net default gw <router ip> eth0

Now, the routing table has this line at the very end (route -n):

0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 UG ... eth0
<default * UG ... eth0 -- route with no options>

With each different thing I try, each slightly different set of options, I
get a slightly different routing table (of course) but no returned pings.

Is my route command wrong, or is this something else? The hardware is all
connected, the lights are lit up right, and I can ping internal 192.168.1.*
addresses all day. I can ping the router itself from the internet just fine.

What am I doing wrong?

Frantically yours,
Glen