Re: [SLUG] HELP!!! route command failure

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan.heffernan@shawus.com)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 19:07:40 EDT

Glen wrote:

>To all:
>
>I have an issue I need immediate assistance on - like by 8:30 tomorrow
>morning. I've been wracking my brains and RTFMing for hours.
>
>I can't ping my router at work (we've moved, I have a static IP at the
>firewall now). Here's my routing table:
>
><telco network> * U ... eth0
>192.168.1.0 * U ... eth1
>127.0.0.0 * U ... lo
>
>When I try to add a default route with the cisco router as gateway, it
>accepts the route but won't return pings. Here's how I added the route:
>
>route add -net default gw <router ip> eth0
>
>Now, the routing table has this line at the very end (route -n):
>
>0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 UG ... eth0
><default * UG ... eth0 -- route with no options>

Is your router configured to ignore ICMP? Is your computer (esp.
firewall rules) configured to DENY all ICMP traffic? Try using
"traceroute" (UNIX, not Windows (Windows tracert seems to use ICMP?))
 One really useful thing to do at this point is to attach a
packet-sniffer to your LAN (tcpdump, ethereal, etc). This works with a
hub; if you are on an ethernet-switch, it won't work (though you can put
your computer and the sniffing computer on a hub, and then hook that hub
into the switch).

Try "ifconfig eth0", and look at TX packets and TX errors (maybe your
ethernet card is not transmitting). Check the netmask and broadcast
addresses that come back from ifconfig.

I never use the "-net" option when specifying "default" with route. I
don't think this is an issue. Your email contained a route line like "

<default * UG ... eth0

", shouldn't that asterisk (or 0.0.0.0) actually be the IP address of
your router?

--ronan