Re: [SLUG] computer building kits?

From: Mike Manchester (mchester@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 13:59:40 EDT

Russell:
It's easy to put together you own kit. The computer show this past weekend would
have been a great place to start as there prices are cheap. Anyway here's what
your kit would consist of.

1. case (picked up 1 at the show for $25)
2. motherboard and processor and cpu fan (they had these for $60 up to $200)
depending on the speed you wanted.
3. Hard drive (4 gig hard drives were around $20)
4. floppy drive ( show price $5)
5. Video card if not on mother board ($30 and up)
6. cd rom (they had DVDs for $40)
7. Sound card if not on mother board ($10 and up)
8. monitor ($100 and up)
9. memory (depends on how much ram you want but I think they had 128 megs for
around $50, this is only a guess maybe lower)
10. An IDE cable (show price much less than compusa price of $20)

I don't know when this needs done. But if you can wait a month I would take him
out to the next show and have him help pick out the pieces. If not there are
some stores around here where you can get pretty good prices. Then he would have
first hand experience with truly building a computer from scratch. Also keep in
mind that this way you can use some of your old stuff you have laying around and
won't have to pay for it in kit form. Such as maybe a floppy or hard drive or
video card etc. I have not bought a complete computer since 1998 and I have
built about 5 of them since then.

I will be glad to help you in anyway I can, just drop me a line, or call me
813-961-0183 ask for Mike.

One a side note: There was one seller at the last show that had linux with gnome
running on one of his machines. I was glad to see that.