Re: [SLUG] Suse

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 11:18:50 EDT

> > Instructions to install by FTP can be found here:
> > http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/en/html/lmuelle_suselinux_internet.html
> >
> > As that page says, they do not have downloadable ISO images for Intel, AMD
> > or PPC(Mac). They kind of count on people actually purcha$ing it.

If you're ever looking for an ISO image, check linuxiso.org:

        http://www.linuxiso.org

There are sparc SuSE images here:

        http://www.linuxiso.org/suse.html

And you can get the S390 SuSE images here:

http://source.rfc822.org/pub/mirror/s390-ibm-linux/SuSE-s390/suse-us-s390/
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/suse/suse/s390/suse-us-s390/

Warning: none of these ISOs will boot on your PCs directly. These were
designed to run on other machine architectures, not Intel ia32 (x86).

The entire bit about SuSE not releasing a Intel image really disturbs me
on a personal level.

You can always install SuSE from an FTP site using yast. If you're
really serious about burning your own i386 bootable CDROM, you just need
mkisofs and the el-torito option to boot to the floppy image. This
really isn't rocket science.

I'm suprised noone has made an independant SuSE ISO image set for Intel.

And, yes, I have been purposefully avoiding all of the press about SuSE
not distributing the Intel media freely. It sickened me the first time I
saw it.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com>
http://ian.blenke.com