Re: [SLUG] video capture card

From: Derek Glidden (dglidden@illusionary.com)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 11:06:15 EDT

On Fri, 2002-04-12 at 01:48, Jim wrote:

> A large 3 foot tall stuffed penguin caught my eye in another booth. These
> people write drivers and do various other projects. One of their programmers
> is from Russia. Anyway check out their website at:
>
> www.linuxmedialabs.com
>
> They sell various cards including a tuner/capture card for about $100. They
> also have various drivers available for downloading. Very Linux friendly
> people.

We have one of the LML33 cards. It's an MJPEG encoder-only card. It's
nice, but anyone looking at their products should take them with a grain
of salt. They have a very mixed reputation. They do make every
possible effort to make fully Linux-compatible hardware, but their
driver development is woefully understaffed. A lot of third-party
drivers exist for the LML33 for precisely that reason.

The LML33 is a nice card, with a few quirks, but unfortunately for
purposes of a home PVR, no TV tuner.

> Of course there was mostly high end stuff at the show. In IBM's booth
> someone from aliaswavefront was running Maya on a very fast IBM computer
> running Redhat 7.2. As mentioned before on this list, a trial version that
> runs on windows or mac is available for demo-it has a watermark on it. The
> guy told me I could contact him for a 30 day trial Linux version.

Maya on Linux is extremely cool. That's all I'll say. :)

> At Compacs booth the guy I talked to said they will be selling ipacs
> preloaded with Linux soon.

THAT is a surprise. I own an iPAQ and follow the handhelds.org
development VERY closely. There has been no word on the list of Compaq
deciding to officially support that. I'll post a note to the list, but
I suspect that might have been a marketing guy saying what you wanted to
hear.

> I would say Apple stole the show with its huge booths and Final Cut Pro 3 and
> dvd authoring. It blew away systems costing 10 times more-like in the Avid
> booth next to it.
>
> www.apple.com/finalcutpro/
>
> And, of course, microsoft was trying to show off its latest version of media
> player code name 'corona'. I walked around that booth, not thru it.

That's just like Microsoft. At SIGGRAPH a couple years ago when it was
here in Orlando they had the biggest booth there. The whole purpose of
the booth was to promote "Microsoft Chromeffects." Anyone even remember
that one? Didn't think so. Surrounded by people doing, literally,
groundbreaking work in CGI and 3D, and they're pushing a slightly
modified version of Direct3D as the Second Coming. Which of course
folded up and disappeared a couple months later.

Must be nice to have so much money you can spend millions promoting a
technology you don't even care about.

> A company called Ai (formerly Acrodyne) was selling a television transmitter
> running on Redhat 7.2 .

Now THAT is something I want! :)

> I ended up sitting next to someone from Sonicblue on one of the shuttle
> busses and had about a 20 minute conversation with him. He said they don't
> like his company's product skipping commercials. I talked with him about
> DeCSS. He talked about what a pain in the ... it is for them (and a waste of
> time) to have to write their software to include this type of stuff. I think
> he mentioned macrovision and also the name of the website that had the hack
> for one of their products. He pointed out that his company had nothing to do
> with this, but that they didn't care. They did their legal obligation by
> putting the stupid stuff into their device.

You don't happen to remember the engineer's name? Not to get him into
trouble, but SonicBLUE has so few engineers, and a lot of them came from
EMPEG, Ltd. when they got acquired, I wonder if I know the guy.

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
$_='while(read+STDIN,$_,2048){$a=29;$b=73;$c=142;$t=255;@t=map
{$_%16or$t^=$c^=($m=(11,10,116,100,11,122,20,100)[$_/16%8])&110;
$t^=(72,@z=(64,72,$a^=12*($_%16-2?0:$m&17)),$b^=$_%64?12:0,@z)
[$_%8]}(16..271);if((@a=unx"C*",$_)[20]&48){$h=5;$_=unxb24,join
"",@b=map{xB8,unxb8,chr($_^$a[--$h+84])}@ARGV;s/...$/1$&/;$d=
unxV,xb25,$_;$e=256|(ord$b[4])<<9|ord$b[3];$d=$d>>8^($f=$t&($d
>>12^$d>>4^$d^$d/8))<<17,$e=$e>>8^($t&($g=($q=$e>>14&7^$e)^$q*
print+x"C*",@a}';s/x/pack+/g;eval

usage: qrpff 153 2 8 105 225 < /mnt/dvd/VOB_FILENAME \ | extract_mpeg2 | mpeg2dec -

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/DeCSS/Gallery/ http://www.eff.org/ http://www.anti-dmca.org/