Re: [SLUG] video capture card

From: Jim (jlange1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 12:19:10 EDT

On Friday 12 April 2002 11:06 am, you wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-04-12 at 01:48, Jim wrote:
> > A large 3 foot tall stuffed penguin caught my eye in another booth.
> > These people write drivers and do various other projects. One of their
> > programmers is from Russia. Anyway check out their website at:
> >
> > www.linuxmedialabs.com
> >
> > They sell various cards including a tuner/capture card for about $100.
> > They also have various drivers available for downloading. Very Linux
> > friendly people.
>
> We have one of the LML33 cards. It's an MJPEG encoder-only card. It's
> nice, but anyone looking at their products should take them with a grain
> of salt. They have a very mixed reputation. They do make every
> possible effort to make fully Linux-compatible hardware, but their
> driver development is woefully understaffed. A lot of third-party
> drivers exist for the LML33 for precisely that reason.
>
> The LML33 is a nice card, with a few quirks, but unfortunately for
> purposes of a home PVR, no TV tuner.
>
> > Of course there was mostly high end stuff at the show. In IBM's booth
> > someone from aliaswavefront was running Maya on a very fast IBM computer
> > running Redhat 7.2. As mentioned before on this list, a trial version
> > that runs on windows or mac is available for demo-it has a watermark on
> > it. The guy told me I could contact him for a 30 day trial Linux
> > version.
>
> Maya on Linux is extremely cool. That's all I'll say. :)
>
> > At Compacs booth the guy I talked to said they will be selling ipacs
> > preloaded with Linux soon.
>
> THAT is a surprise. I own an iPAQ and follow the handhelds.org
> development VERY closely. There has been no word on the list of Compaq
> deciding to officially support that. I'll post a note to the list, but
> I suspect that might have been a marketing guy saying what you wanted to
> hear.

That is quite possible. A lot of times they tell you stuff just to get rid
of you.

> > I would say Apple stole the show with its huge booths and Final Cut Pro 3
> > and dvd authoring. It blew away systems costing 10 times more-like in
> > the Avid booth next to it.
> >
> > www.apple.com/finalcutpro/
> >
> > And, of course, microsoft was trying to show off its latest version of
> > media player code name 'corona'. I walked around that booth, not thru
> > it.
>
> That's just like Microsoft. At SIGGRAPH a couple years ago when it was
> here in Orlando they had the biggest booth there. The whole purpose of
> the booth was to promote "Microsoft Chromeffects." Anyone even remember
> that one? Didn't think so. Surrounded by people doing, literally,
> groundbreaking work in CGI and 3D, and they're pushing a slightly
> modified version of Direct3D as the Second Coming. Which of course
> folded up and disappeared a couple months later.

Yeah, I remember, I still have the 'chrome balls' somewhere in my kids room.
I wonder when SIGGRAPH will come back to Orlando. I believe the next one is
in Texas.

> Must be nice to have so much money you can spend millions promoting a
> technology you don't even care about.
>
> > A company called Ai (formerly Acrodyne) was selling a television
> > transmitter running on Redhat 7.2 .
>
> Now THAT is something I want! :)

You mean with all the toys you have, you don't have one of these! :)

> > I ended up sitting next to someone from Sonicblue on one of the shuttle
> > busses and had about a 20 minute conversation with him. He said they
> > don't like his company's product skipping commercials. I talked with him
> > about DeCSS. He talked about what a pain in the ... it is for them (and
> > a waste of time) to have to write their software to include this type of
> > stuff. I think he mentioned macrovision and also the name of the website
> > that had the hack for one of their products. He pointed out that his
> > company had nothing to do with this, but that they didn't care. They did
> > their legal obligation by putting the stupid stuff into their device.
>
> You don't happen to remember the engineer's name? Not to get him into
> trouble, but SonicBLUE has so few engineers, and a lot of them came from
> EMPEG, Ltd. when they got acquired, I wonder if I know the guy.

No, I don't remember, or if he is still with the company, or if he is even an
engineer. I thought his name tag said he was from Canada but I'm not sure.
I'm terrible with names.