Re: [SLUG] Suse

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 11:06:18 EDT

So do Debian maintainers.

If need a distribution for the media, support, or documentation, then
buy it. This is why you pay for distributions.

If you can burn your own media, manage your own support, and can print
your own open documentation, then you're welcome to put your own blood
sweat and tears into getting a distribution working free of cost.

Granted, there is value-add from commercial distributions (noteably:
stringent QA testing and release cycles), but there are also some big
problems with a number of them as well (like patches that never seem to
make their way back into the CVS trees).

I value what distributions offer for most consumers. However, I'm quite
happy to train myself on the Free Beer and avoid some of the commercial
pitfals that sometimes intrude on the Libre of the software that the
distributions were built on in the first place.

Thinking that you *owe* a company money for a distribution has always
bothered me. That's probably another big hidden reason why I love Debian
so much.

That's my $0.02, anyway.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com>
http://ian.blenke.com