Re: [SLUG] Suse

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Sat Apr 13 2002 - 00:08:06 EDT

On 12 Apr 2002, Ian C. Blenke wrote:

(snip)
> The entire bit about SuSE not releasing a Intel image really disturbs me
> on a personal level.
>
> You can always install SuSE from an FTP site using yast. If you're
> really serious about burning your own i386 bootable CDROM, you just need
> mkisofs and the el-torito option to boot to the floppy image. This
> really isn't rocket science.
>
> I'm suprised noone has made an independant SuSE ISO image set for Intel.

(/snip)

IANAL - but... Section 3 of the GPL reads:

3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under
Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Sections 1
and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following: (The
following are 3 ways to make source code available.)

I think that means I could just copy SuSE CDs and hand them out like
candy. I think that means I could put the CD contents into an ISO image
and put it on an anonymous FTP server.

I was curious because cheapbytes.com is charging about what SuSE charges
and linuxiso.org doesn't have SuSE Intel ISOs. What's stopping them?
Other than incurring the wrath of the fine folks at SuSE, and perhaps
burying my server and connection, what's stopping me? Or anyone? In
OpenBSD the CD layout is copyrighted by Theo de Raadt and he doesn't want
you making copies willy-nilly. But BSD is not GPLed. I know there are a
lot of SuSE fans on this list, and I don't want to upset them. It may
also be worth noting the recent thread on Mandrake's financial woes and
that they offer Intel ISO images for download.

If no one has ever done it, that seems odd.

Greg