Re: [SLUG] Need some help from the group

From: Ronan Heffernan (ronan.heffernan@shawus.com)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 06:23:22 EDT

dmeyer07@tampabay.rr.com wrote:

>Absolutely! This is going to be a big project. It is for a non-profit
>Christian school in Seffner. They are getting a grant to do this and the
>foundation supporting them has pledged their support. The scope of the
>project is 2 computers in each room with access to the Internet (that will be
>14 of them) and a 12 system lab in their library. All the cables have been
>run and I will be putting wall, outlets on them (this is a new addition to a
>school). Once the money has been approved, I'll finish the sales job. I just
>had to be sure I could get some in the group to help. We'll need a main server
>(DHCP & File / Print), firewall server, and they have a CD Server they want to
>use if they can. All I'll need from the group is your LINUX knowledge, and
>willingness to help out on Saturday's, etc. Frankly, I think there is enough
>talent in the group that with enough people we could do this in one day...I
>think.

You could try to get the CD Server working, but it is usually easier to
image the cdroms onto a hard-disk, mount the ISOs with '-o loop', and
share them that way (NFS, FTP, and SAMBA at the same time!). You should
be able to fit ~28 CDROMS (completely full) on a 20GB HD. They will
also be faster to access if they don't have to go through the physical
CDROM drive (unless your network is so slow that there is no difference).

Didn't Linux Journal had an article on this recently? They went the
extra mile and used automounting, so that you could share more CDROMs
than you could mount at one time.

--ronan