Re: Possible fraud report ... was: Re: [SLUG] Verisign Scam

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 01:02:01 EDT

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 11:29:05PM -0400, Derek Glidden wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-04-18 at 22:37, R P Herrold wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Paul M Foster wrote:
> >
> > > Verisign (Network Solutions) is sending snail mails around, telling
> > > people to renew their domain names. Trouble is, 1) those domain names
> > > weren't registered with Verisign in the first place, and 2) the
> >
> > It is not at all clear that VeriSign sent it. I received
> > several of these forgeries -- check the Full headers -- looks
>
> Verisign is sending out *snail mail* "hijack" attempts. And they are
> *definitely* from Verisign.

Fact. No scammer would spend this much money on a mail piece. It's a 2/1
(2 colors on front, 1 color on back), perfed, with the Verisign logo on
the face of it, plus a BRE (business reply envelope). Definitely
Verisign. What really makes it more scammy is that it says on the front
"Domain Name Expiration Notice". Fact is, the particular domain in
question has another four months before expiration, yet they want a
reply by 15 May (and of course, as I said, they aren't this domain's
registrar).

I'm sure I'm being naive, but it seems to me like either ICANN or the
Postmaster ought to be awfully interested in this type of thing. It's
stunning to me that the entity that gives these guys their charter
hasn't the desire or ability to rein them in.

Paul