Re: Possible fraud report ... was: Re: [SLUG] Verisign Scam

From: Eric Bravick (ebravick@nks.net)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 19:19:49 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:

<snip>

> I'm sure I'm being naive, but it seems to me like either ICANN or the
> Postmaster ought to be awfully interested in this type of thing. It's
> stunning to me that the entity that gives these guys their charter
> hasn't the desire or ability to rein them in.
>
> Paul

Unfortunately, ICANN, the organization that was suppose to be set up to
protect the world from the already ruthless tactics of NSI (now
Verisign) has proven itself to be fairly worthless in this respect.
They get paid to look the other way in most cases. Verisign is so
absolutely huge and money laden that it can silence any opposition in
ICANN to its practices.

For example, even though our registration service is backed through one
of the largest "alternative registrars" we still can't get Verisign to
play by the ICANN regulations. Recently, in addition to all the things
already discussed here, they have begun to deny all transfers out of
their system, for no reason whatsoever. 90% of the time, even if the
owner of a domain name requests a transfer over and over again, Verisign
simply denies it each time until they give up. This makes it virtually
impossible for even the largest of the competing registrars to make any
headway.

Think you own your domain? Not if its with Verisign...

Personally and professionally I do everything that I can to work against
Verisign. I still can't believe that I found a company that I hate more
than Microsucks... but there it is!!!

--   Eric Bravick, Engineering Shock Trooper    --
---       Networked Knowledge Systems          ---
----   P.O. Box 20772 Tampa, FL. 33622-0772   ----
----- (813)594-0060 Voice  (813)594-0045 FAX -----
------          ebravick@nks.net            ------