Re: [SLUG] new MB BIOS problems

From: Douglas Koobs (dkoobs@dkoobs.com)
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 01:06:12 EST

The last time that happenned to me, I ended up replacing the motherboard.
Hopefully it won't come to that...

Here are a few things to check...

Are the HDD drives being detected by the BIOS at bootup?

Is the power supply certified to work with AMD CPU's? (AMD chips are very
picky about that, although I don't know if that could cause the problem
you're having.)

If neither of the above helps at all, try removing all components that you
can (HDD, CDROM, Modem, NIC, etc) and try booting to floppy. If that works,
add one device at a time until you find the culprit.

I'm sure there dozens of other things to try, but that's where I would
start. I may have a (correct?) answer to your question about FSB and RAM
speeds. The FSB speed is the speed that the CPU communicates with the
chipset (Northbridge), while the RAM speed is the speed that the RAM
communicates with the chipset (again, Northbridge). Someone correct me or
elaborate. ALI has a block diagram that describes this at

http://www.ali.com.tw/eng/products/corelogic/alimagik_1.htm

Good luck!!

Doug