Re: [SLUG] Need PII 333MHz

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Mon May 06 2002 - 09:51:07 EDT

On Sun, 2002-05-05 at 16:21, Doug Koobs wrote:
> > I bet I could answer this one because on some of the older mother boards
> if
> > you run a 350 underclocked it will not show up nor work as a 333.
>
> Actually, the underclocked 350 does show up as a 333MHz on my Netserver E45

If you're getting a Microcode Update error, it's a BIOS thing. If HP
hasn't put out a new BIOS for your server to handle that proc, you're
out of luck, I guess. It's odd that it won't even POST with the proc in
it though.

> > The Bus speeds for a 350 work at 50 mhz where as the 333 uses 66mhz bus
>
> When I originally used this PII 350 in my primary box, I ran it with 100MHz
> memory... I am assuming this is what you are referring to as bus speeds,
> although the whole FSB/memory speed/Northbridge/Southbridge relation is
> still not clear to me...

A 333Mhz PII is a 5x multiplier locked CPU running with a FSB of 66Mhz.
A 350Mhz PII is a 3.5x multiplier locked CPU running with a FSB of
100Mhz.

Running a 350Mhz PII in a 66Mhz bus machine will end up running the CPU
at 233Mhz (3.5x * 66Mhz).

The big jump at the time was from mobo's running 66Mhz FSB to 100Mhz
FSB. While you may be able to run a higher clocked (larger multiplier)
celeron, your Voltage Regulator Unit (VRU) may not be able to drive the
newer cores (or may just fry them with the higher voltages, BEWARE!)

I have two IBM PC325 servers that I picked up for a song a while back
which are both locked at 66Mhz FSB on that particular Intel chipset.
Finding the pluggable VRUs is not an easy chore. IBM wants an arm and a
leg.

There are two compaq 1850R servers with the same problem: both are dual
capable, but I can't find a cheap VRU/CPU pair to bump them from the
500Mhz procs (100Mhz FSB this time) that are already in them. Compaq
wants an arm and a leg.

Viva cheap PC hardware.

> > Next some of the 350 only has 256k cache and
> > the 333 would use 512 L2 cache.
>
> This one has 512k cache.

Yay. I would rather have a Celeron 300A with a native speed (full FSB -
66Mhz) 128k cache than a Pentium II with a half-speed (yes, 33Mhz) 512k
cache.

> >Some cases the 333 would out do the 350's.
> > I would also love to trade one of my pII350's for a pII 333mhz as well.
>
> Hey, I asked first :)

I really just want to scrap the old IBM PC325s, but they're just such
reliable workhorses that I dare not try.

- Ian C. Blenke <ian@blenke.com> <icblenke@nks.net>
http://ian.blenke.com